10 months ago .
The SBI PO Main Paper is around the corner. You must be prepared by now with your syllabus for the Main Paper. The best help for you at this time must be actual letter samples for SBI PO Mains, which will give you an exact idea of what to write in the descriptive paper.
Points to Remember when tackling Letter Writing:
- Decide: Are you more comfortable with Informal Letters or Formal Letters? Formal letters have a set structure and you can limit it to the subject at hand. Informal letters flow more easily and you have more flexibility in controlling the content of the letter. You will likely be given a choice between two or three subjects – one might even be an informal letter. So choose your subject well.
- Stick to Format:Follow the standard format in letter writing. Each letter simply must have the following parts in order.
- Your (Fake) Address
- Today’s Date
- Subject (There is no need for a subject in an informal letter)
- Salutations (e.g. ‘My Dearest Sister’, ‘Dear Sir’ or simply ‘Madam’ etc.)
- Introductory Paragraph, Body (dealing with the subject of the letter), Concluding Paragraph
- Sign off/ Complimentary Closing
- Your (Fake) Name (and Designation where necessary)
- Word Limit:Keep the subject in mind when writing the letter. You definitely have a time limit and will likely also have a word limit, so don’t wander off topic.
- Letter Body:The body must cover the entirety of the subject that has been given in the question. The introduction should introduce who you are and why you are writing this letter. The conclusion should be a polite but firm call to action.
- How to End: The sign off or complimentary closing must be appropriate. “Yours affectionately” may be appropriate for a personal letter but not for a formal one. “Yours sincerely” or “Yours truly” would be apter for formal letters.
- Salutation: If you know who you are writing to, make sure your salutations are gender appropriate. Else, you can just say “Sir”.
- Golden rule for Formal letters: Keep the formal letters as respectful as possible, even if you are complaining.
Here are some sample letters for you to get an idea. You can follow either of the formats for the formal letter…
Letter Samples for SBI PO Mains Descriptive Paper
1. Informal Letter Samples for SBI PO Mains
- Write an Informal Letter to your mother in about 300 words telling her of your achievements in college.
22nd July 2015.
I hope this letter finds you in the best of your health and spirits. I am writing this letter to you to tell you about my achievements at the college this year.
This year has been one of the most eventful years of my life. In the first month of college itself, I was elected as the class representative for the year. My classmates and teachers believed that my responsible and humble demeanour made me the perfect choice for this position. This was just the beginning. Once college began full swing, I became as busy as a bee.
My next successful endeavour was being a part of the organising committee of Mumbai’s largest college festival – Unnati. I participated in the organisation of this event in the capacity of the President of the entire organising team. Managing a multitude of people and ensuring that all that was planned was executed effectively almost took a toll on my physical and mental health. However, the satisfaction of its fruition was unparalleled. Besides this, I took part in a variety of conferences to realise my public speaking potential. Being awarded the ‘Best Speaker’ at several of these symposiums instilled a huge load of confidence in me. Academically, too, I have been working hard and I managed to achieve a position among the top three ranks in each semester. I do not think that this would be possible without the constant support of my teachers and friends who helped me cover up the classes I missed so often.
After such a tiring but fulfilling college year, I will be coming home over the summer break. I have been missing Papa, you and Vedika a lot and hope to see you soon!
2. Formal Letter Samples for SBI PO Mains
- Write a Formal Letter to your Municipal Corporation in about 300 words complaining about the state of roads in your area and the lack of street lights there.
B-515, Royal Ensign, Sector-64, Ashok Vihar, New Delhi, Delhi – 110052. 23rd July 2015
Mr K. K. Dahiya
Director (Personnel) – South Delhi Municipal Corporation (SDMC)
Palika Bazar, Connaught Place
New Delhi, Delhi -110056
SUBJECT: POOR CONDITION OF ROADS AND LACK OF STREET LIGHTS IN ASHOK VIHAR
I, Ankita Vasudha, am a resident of Ashok Vihar. This letter is to draw the attention of the SDMC to the pathetic condition of roads in Ashok Vihar. The stretch between sector 64 and sector 125 has been in a very poor state since the last 6 months. This stretch, which is one of the busiest roads in New Delhi, also lacks street lighting.
The onset of the monsoon has only worsened the situation. There are huge potholes on this road which along with zero maintenance of this stretch leads to huge traffic jams during the peak hours. Needless to say, the damage it causes to the vehicles plying on this road is costing the citizens heavily. Almost every other day, a vehicle is punctured or dented or it gets stuck. Lack of proper lighting only adds to the misery of the people. The number of accidents occurring here has also gone up significantly.
Further, it has become very difficult for the pedestrians to walk along this road due to the fact that the vehicles including company buses, cabs and cars tend to avoid the potholes and drive along the sides of the roads, where pedestrians tend to walk because of the lack of proper footpaths.
These conditions have caused a lot of inconvenience to the residents of this area as well as commuters.
Keeping the above in view, I hope that the SDMC will initiate expeditious steps to ensure the repairing of this road with proper lighting.
2. Write a Formal Letter to the Principal requesting him to increase security for women in the college.
Aahat Enclave, Andheri,
22nd July 2015.
The Principal, St. Xavier’s College,
Subject: Request for increasing security for women in college
I, the undersigned, am writing this letter to you to request you to hike the security for women in the college. I am a student of your institution and am pursuing Economics. I am voicing out such a concern on behalf of all the other female students of the college.
Given the current scenario in the Indian diaspora and numerous untoward incidents that are being reported almost daily, I believe that women’s security is an issue that needs to be tackled effectively at the earliest. Most of the female students in the campus travel from faraway suburban areas and often stay back in the college campus even after the lectures are over because they participate in a wide range of extra-curricular activities. As such, it is imperative that the surveillance be increased for women in the college lest we face undesirable consequences.
This is why I earnestly request you to take some action as soon as possible. I would be highly obliged if you would do the needful and heighten the security in and around the college campus for all the females. I thank you in anticipation.
Follow these rules and these samples to ace your SBI PO 2017 exam. Best of luck!
If you liked these Samples for SBI PO Mains and are looking for Essay writing tips, you can find the links here.
Sample Essays for descriptive Paper – Part I
Sample Essays for descriptive Paper – Part II
Your descriptive paper will be evaluated only if you clear the objective stage of the SBI PO Mains. So make sure you start your preparation now!
The SBI PO Exam Pattern 2018 is yet to be announced. However, it is most likely to be the same as SBI PO Exam Pattern 2017. The State Bank of India will, sooner or later, release the SBI PO Exam Pattern 2018 along with the official notification in February 2018. It is important to note that the SBI PO Exam Pattern 2018 has changed as of 2017, so candidates are advised to scrutinize the SBI PO Exam Pattern 2018 carefully to not overlook any details of the latest changes.
The SBI PO exam is held every year by SBI to recruit Probationary Officers / Management Trainees for its various branches across the country. It is one of the most competitive exams in the country as SBI PO is one of the most sought after jobs. Knowledge of the SBI PO Exam Pattern 2018 will, therefore, give the candidates that extra edge as they prepare for this exam.
CLICK HERE FOR THE SBI PO SYLLABUS 2018
SBI PO Exam Pattern 2018
As per the SBI Selection Process, candidates will have to undergo 3 phases:
- Preliminary Exam
- Mains Exam
- Group Discussion & Interview
SBI PO Exam Pattern 2018 for Phase 1 (Prelims)
As per the SBI PO Exam Pattern 2018, the SBI PO Prelims Exam consists of multiple choice questions. They willcarry a total of 100 marks. There will be 3 sections and the composite time allotted will be 1 hour.
No. of Qs / Max. Marks
|1. English Language|
30 / 30
|2. Quantitative Aptitude|
35 / 35
|3. Reasoning Ability|
35 / 35
100 / 100
SBI PO Exam Pattern 2018 for Phase 2 (Mains)
SBI PO Mains 2018 will consist of 2 parts – Objective Test (200 marks) and Descriptive Test (50 marks). Both these tests will be conducted online.
The SBI PO Exam Pattern 2018 for Objective and Descriptive Test will be as follows:
The Objective Test is of 3 hours duration and consists of 4 sections for total of 200 marks. As per the latest SBI PO Exam Pattern 2018, separate timings have been introduced for every section. Hence, there will be a time limit for each section.
|No. of Qs. / Max. Marks|
|Reasoning & Computer Aptitude|
45 / 60
| Data Analysis|
35 / 60
| General Awareness|
40 / 40
35 / 40
155 / 200
The Descriptive Test will be of 30 minutes duration with 50 marks. Essentially, it will test the candidates on their English Language skills (Letter Writing & Essay). Moreover, only the Descriptive Tests of those candidates who score qualifying marks in the Objective Test will be evaluated.
|Test||No. of Qs.||Max. Marks|
SBI PO Exam Pattern 2018 for Phase 3 (Group Discussion & Interview)
The aggregate marks of candidates, who have qualified both in Objective Test and Descriptive Test, will be arranged in descending order in each category. An adequate number of candidates in each category will be called for Group Discussion and Interview.
The marks for Group Discussion and Interview are given below:
- There is a negative marking of 1/4th of the marks assigned to wrongly answered questions in both Prelims and Mains Objective Exam.
- No negative marking will be assigned for questions not attempted.
- The Preliminary Exam is only qualifying in nature and will not be counted towards the final total.
- Only those who qualify Phase 2 will be eligible to proceed to Phase 3.
SBI PO Important Dates
|Exam Events||Important Dates|
|Opening Date of Online Registration||February 2018|
|Closing Date of Online Registration||March 2018|
|Download of call letters Preliminary Exam||April 2018|
|Online Examination – Preliminary||April – May 2018|
|Result of Preliminary exam||May 2018|
|Download of call letters for Mains||May 2018|
|Mains Online Examination||June 2018|
|Result of Mains Exam||June 2018|
SBI PO Cut Off
Now that we’re aware of the SBI PO Exam Pattern 2018, let us take a look at the SBI PO Cut off for each category separately.
SBI PO Cut Off for General Category
|Cut Off on Total Score||47.5|
SBI PO Cut Off for OBC
|Cut Off on Total Score||44.5|
SBI PO Cut Off for SC
|Cut Off on Total Score||38.75|
SBI PO Cut Off for ST
|Cut Off on Total Score||29.25|
SBI PO Exam Pattern 2018 FAQs
Q. Will the SBI PO Exam Pattern 2018 be the same?
A. The SBI PO Exam Pattern 2018 will most likely be the same as that of 2017. However, please take note of the latest changes implemented in 2017 as mentioned in this article.
Q. Will there be negative marking as per the SBI PO Exam Pattern 2018?
A. Yes. According to the SBI PO Exam Pattern 2018, there will be a negative marking of 1/4th marks for wrong answers in both Prelims and Mains Objective Exam.
Q. With the new SBI PO Exam Pattern 2018, will the SBI PO Cut Off be the same?
A. The cut off will likely change no matter the SBI PO Exam Pattern 2018 changes. However, for that we will have to wait for the SBI to release in its discretion.
With the SBI PO Exam Pattern 2018 information now in your hands, start preparing by taking a bank mock test on Embibe!
Categories:bank1, Banking, SBI PO